Variation in the menu of your guinea pigs is essential for a good health. That’s why it’s so important to provide different sorts of foodstuffs on daily basis, eventually supplemented with dried variants. The phytonutrients are present only in smaller quantities, but their positive effects on your piggies’ health can be huge in many ways. Every substance has another function. That is the reason why it is so important to offer a varied menu, which offers a broad range of phytonutrients and prevents the risk of an overdose of specific substances. The more variation the better. (Oh…. Of course this also counts for the pet parents!)
Are you experiencing trouble to come up with something else than a piece of carrot, some bell peppers of a piece of lettuce? Then have a good look on this list with safe foodstuffs as an inspiration source. There are more ingredients that guinea pigs can eat and might not be mentioned. Do you doubt? Then don’t provide it, better safe than sorry!
- Always provide raw food
- Vary within one meal, especially with cabbage sorts and vegetables that contain a lot of moisture
- Trying something new? Provide it in small quantities first to make their tummies used to it
- Are they not eating a new foodstuff? Keep on trying for a few times, sometimes they just need to get used to the taste!
- Don’t pick grass and herbs right next to the road or at places where lots of dogs have been
- Only give herbs in small quantities because of their strong qualities
Carrots with foliage
Do not provide
Onion, leeks, etc.